I was fitted for a complete denture. Both the upper and lower fit beautifully and I am quite happy with them. Unfortunately, I think I am allergic to them and am hoping there is a solution. The first day, I had swelling around my eyes and an itchy throat. Second day, the swelling grew worse around my eyes, my throat swelled and my glands swelled. I took a day off of wearing them and took some benadryl for the allergy symptoms. I got some relief then. I tried putting them in again the next day and the symptoms returned. Is there any way I can figure out how to prevent these allergy symptoms? I can’t go without teeth.
It definitely sounds like there is an allergy here. You do not want to mess with this. Your throat could swell so much that you cannot breathe. This can happen suddenly and unless you have someone with you who notices, you will not get help on time.
Your first step will be to not wear them until you have an answer to what you are allergic to. You need to see an allergist and get a patch test done, making sure it includes the materials in your denture. My guess is that you are allergic to the unreacted monomer.
The denture’s base is made of acrylic. When it is first processed that acrylic is in its liquid state, which is a monomer. A chemical reaction is started that changes the acrylic to a polymer, which is a solid form. In many chemical reactions, there are leftover materials. The same is true in this case. There will be some leftover monomer that did not react. If it turns out that it is the monomer you have an allergy to, one thing your dental office can try is to immerse the denture in very hot water for several hours in an attempt to get the remainder of the monomer to react. Here is some research on this that you can show to your dentist.
You’ll have to find out what you are allergic to before any definitive steps can be taken.
This blog is brought to you by Duluth, GA Dentist Dr. David Marion.